Intro : I bought some old PowerEdge 2850s in order to setup a test/learning environment. My frustration of installing server 2008 R2 on these machines led me down different paths such as Dell SUU (which was another set of frustration with the 2850). Here is the most efficient way to install Server 2008R2. Please ask any questions in the comments below.
- Ensure that the latest BIOS is installed. (Bios A07).
- Setup Server 2008R2 on a Flash Drive. The following link is a great, concise, how to.
- Copy the RAID controller drivers to any folder on the USB flash drive. I put mine in a newly created folder called “DellDriver”. The installation will scan all folders on the USB in order to perform a driver installation for the HDD; and will prevent the blue screen of death. Drivers for the 2850 in the link below.
- Setup RAID configuration. The following was a great tutorial on this :
- Ensure the BIOS is setup correctly to boot to USB.
- Ensure the USB is in the rear ports. I have tried both in the front and back of the server I had…. and only the rear worked for boot.
Feel free to email me or ask questions in the comments.